Horse racing painting. "Jockey in Red'

Horse racing painting

Details about this Original Horse Racing Painting

Expressive and affordable horse racing painting measures 15" x 22" and is painted on paper.

Inspiration behind this equine painting

My focus with this one was the medium. I used a combination of heavy body acrylic paint and charcoal, but the main focus was exploring the opaqueness and transparencies. Most of you probably know that white acrylic paint is opaque of the acrylic paint. Also, if I use thick undiluted paint it also has an opaqueness that you wouldn't have if you thinned the color out with water. To exploit this I start with a really wet brush and load it with thick paint, and then drag the brush across the paper using heavy pressure towards the end of the stroke. This will leave a thick opaque area where you start and a thinned out transparent area where you end. Once I have some colors spread across the paper I added the opaque white being sure to use a touch of other colors here and there just to mix it up. I try to vary the degree of thickness to add some texture to the surface. Thick areas allow me the opportunity to scratch back into the paint. This can be seen in the horse's left front leg and a few other areas.
I guess that gives you an idea of where I'm at when painting these days. As I've mentioned in some previous posts the subjects aren't that important but just allow me a means to apply these methods.

Here are a few close-ups of the horse and jockey. I've also included a framed image for display purposes only.





How to purchase this painting

This piece is now available at Etsy. You may also be interested in the February sale that is going on, so be sure to stop in and check out the great deals.

Other goodies and parting thoughts
Thanks for stopping by and have a fantastic day.

No comments:

Post a Comment